Re: [Amc-list] rear wheel lock up problem still

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007, d stohler wrote:

> well, i got a gm style proportioning valve, metering
> valve, what ever you call it, it is suposed to do like
> 3 things all itself. if there is anything i noticed,
> it was that the rear tires lock up harder and maybe
> just a little bit sooner. i dont think its really
> going to be noticeable on the road from what it was
> before. i still do not get ANY front end lock at all.
> i like my brakes where the front locks only if i STAND
> on the pedal. im kinda in a confused way. and before
> anyone asks, i looked up on the valve what side what
> front and rear. yes, it is hooked up correctly
> front/rear. im starting to get irritated with this. i
> have a lot of time mostly, and some money into it, and
> it is not how i think it should be with the parts that
> are on it. anyone have any ideas? thanks.

Is this in your 62?

Some of those valves are proportioning valves, but a lot of
them are just a switch for "brake fail" eg. the front and rear
systems have different pressures, eg. one failed. I forget how
you tell the difference visually.

If you have stock 62 rear brakes, and added-on front disks, then
you probably have an actual imbalance in brakin force. You'll
need to buy an adjustable prop. valve ($30? from summit etc)
or pick smaller-bore rear wheel cyls. Smaller bores will mean
for a given brake fluid pressure, there will be less force
(smaller piston) than with larger.