Re: [AMC-List] Fwd: eBay Favorite Search: Nearby AMC - 200

Re: [AMC-List] Fwd: eBay Favorite Search: Nearby AMC - 200

AMC created AM General as a separate division in 1970 or 71 shortly
after they bought Jeep. AM General was a merger of AMC's and Jeep's
previous Government Products Divisions (GPD was the AMC division, not
sure what Kaiser-Jeep called theirs). I do know that a lot of the early
AM General products have American Motors on the data plates instead of
AM General.

I've seen quite a few of them in my career, and always look for the
plates. I know we had some at Warner-Robins AFB that were made in the
mid 70s and had American Motors on them instead of AM General. The
delivery date is on the data plate. I don't know when the plate
nomenclature changed.

I can also say with authority that they are all six cylinder multi-fuel
engines. You can't just put whatever fuel in though. There are a couple
manual adjustments that have to be made to switch from one fuel type to
another, or a mixture. I've never had to adjust one, but have discussed
it with military vehicle mechanics. They really don't like them being
run on gasoline as it's hard on the engines. Little or no lubrication
with gasoline, and the engines are primarily designed for some grade of
diesel/kerosene/jet fuel. Any of those run great! I seem to recall that
we ran jet fuel (JP-4 or JP-8) whenever practical. Might be wrong on
that, has been a while since I've been tasked as a driver! RHIP -- rank
has its privileges...