Re: [AMC-List] 258 6cyl swap into 63american convertible

Re: [AMC-List] 258 6cyl swap into 63american convertible

" From: "M Walter" <redamc1963@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" Hello AMC people!   Here I am again asking advise on yet another idea on a
" powertrain swap for my beloved little red 'vert.  The thought of cutting up
" the engine bay on this car to put in a 290  really makes me cringe.
" Especially after seeing a couple examples on ebay.  So my thoghts are now
" leaning toward a 258 or a 232, because it has to be an AMC.  I have so far
" kept the car period correct, but not totally origional.  The car is just to
" nice to be sporting the 196 ohv.  There is no aftermarket for it and not
" much potential.  I already have a T14 to hook it up to.  Also is there any
" difference in bell pattern up to '85or '86?    THANK YOU  once again,

there is a major shift in bell pattern '71-2.  '64-'71 199/232/258 have
the same small pattern as the 196; '72-up 232/258/4.0 have the larger
290-later v8 pattern.

the later six is quite a lot longer than your 196; it could take just
as much cutting though of a different sort to fit as a v8 would take.

a non-amc possibility would be a ford 200.  iirc they used the t96 up
to '65 or so, so with the right bellhousing it'd bolt up to your t14.
[phase 2: there are also sr4/t4/t5 pattern bells for the 170/200]
there are a number of speed parts for it but imho the best is the
australian/argentinian 12-port head and 2bbl intake.  someone's
bringing them into this country...

late 200s, like the 250, have the ford small-v8 pattern.  there is no
t96-pattern bells for these.