Re: [AMC-List] 3 bolt vs 4 bolt

[AMC-List]

Date: Sunday, January 14, 2007 01:21 PM
From: Jim Boone <fljab@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Attachments: <http://www.amxfiles.com/archive/attachments/114253/1518>1518
(184 bytes)

I have 2 complete sets of pulleys (to support AC) for a 4 bolt balancer.  My
   '70 390 is a 3 bolt.  Can a 4 bolt balancer be physically put in place of
the 3 bolt balancer?

If the physical mounting surface is the same, then that should work,
balancing issues aside.  The balancing could be dealt with during rebuild.
Any other options?

I have had no luck finding a 3 groove, 3 bolt lower pulley.  From talking to
different people, I'm not sure they made them.  Was AC driven off another
accessory, like the alternator or water pump, up through 1970?

Thanks,

Jim Boone

Jim, Etal; on the AMC-list

Doug Noel at American Parts Deport has new 3 and 4 bolt balancers. I just
bought one off Doug in September. The price is not too bad. Check out Doug
on-line catalog at :
  http:\\www.americanpartsdeport.com . But beware you need a high speed
connection the catalog is big even just for that section. If the price is
too high for you an outfit called "Damper Doctor" does rebuilds for about
$5 or $10 more then Doug's new ones. When you building an engine the part
you try and go cheap on , is the one that comes around and bites you. I'm
building a 69 -390 V-8 for my 1969 AMX and doing a write up on the engine
rebuild along with the redo of the entire car for the NAMDRA newsletter.
thanks , Larry R. Daum