[AMC-List] 3 bolt vs 4 bolt

Jim

Snip
If the physical mounting surface is the same, then that should work,
balancing issues aside.  The balancing could be dealt with during
rebuild.
Any other options?

I have had no luck finding a 3 groove, 3 bolt lower pulley.  From
talking to
different people, I'm not sure they made them.  Was AC driven off
another
accessory, like the alternator or water pump, up through 1970?
Snip
According to the '70 TSM the belt that drove the A/C was the same belt
that also drove
 The power  steering pump, or if not used, an idler was installed in the
same location a
power steering pump would be installed. Thus there were only two belts
on the harmonic
balancer pulleys, thus needing only two pulleys.
There is also an idler installed on the back side of the belt between
the harmonic
balancer pulleys and the A/C compressor.

Your need now would depend on where the A/C compressor you want to
install lines up
on the crank shaft. If it came from a later car/application you may need
the 3rd pulley. If
so I think there is no problem in doing a 390 vs 401 harmonic balancer,
but would have
check on that as I do not know when 4 bolt harmonic balancers were first
used and if
they are balanced correctly for a 390

John