[AMC-List] 3 bolt vs 4 bolt

I have 2 complete sets of pulleys (to support AC) for a 4 bolt balancer. My '70 390 is a 3 bolt. Can a 4 bolt balancer be physically put in place of the 3 bolt balancer?

If the physical mounting surface is the same, then that should work, balancing issues aside. The balancing could be dealt with during rebuild. Any other options?

I have had no luck finding a 3 groove, 3 bolt lower pulley. From talking to different people, I'm not sure they made them. Was AC driven off another accessory, like the alternator or water pump, up through 1970?

Thanks,

Jim Boone
Mims, FL