Re: [AMC-List] E-stick

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006, Swygert, Francis G MSgt 436 CES/CECM wrote:

> Actually, I see no reason it shouldn't be compatible with overdrive.
> When you let off the gas to go into over drive it might declutch, but I
> don't think that would be a problem. OD would still come in as long as
> the car was moving fast enough. Kicking down OD should have no effect.

There's servo gunk to make it engine-brake on decelleration,
where it would seem it would want to simply declutch. It's really
complicated! Did you drive one in perfect working order? I bet
there were few of those after a year or two -- it just looks
like a prone-to-problem system. Not badly designed, just a
lot of stuff that's unique, hard to test, and subtle. Probably
not a good combo for the corner garage in 1960-ish. Umm like
fuel injection.

> The main difference in the oil pump is that the gears are about 1/2"
> longer than the standard pump (and of course the pump body).

Actually, after reading it over, the oil pump is the LEAST of
the changes, and the most understandable. (Though that pump
would make a nice performance pump.)  I shold scan that photo
and the E-stick pages, the theory-of-operation is similar to
the auto transmission, color flow diagrams and all.

> Tom, I'm going to have to write an E-stick article for AMC now!! Luckily

That would be cool. I've always had a sick curiousity about
all the failed "new ideas" in cars; e-stick, hill-holders,
that sort of thing.

> I figured out the exact sequence of operation a long time ago (don't ask
> now -- I have it in my old book though!). Distilling it down into an
> easy to follow path was a chore the first time -- I think I re-wrote
> that one small section 3-4 times before I was satisfied with it, and
> will likely re-write 2-3 times for an article again!! I've been writing
> so much over the past few years that I have my rough draft thought out
> in my head before I even put pen to paper (or rather finger to
> keyboard).

It would probably be easier to describe it in some simplified
computer language! A tiny microprocessor would make E-Stick work
perfectly, for example decell, and avoid low-engine-oil-pressure
didn't slip the clutch, etc.