[AMC-List] E-stick

Actually, I see no reason it shouldn't be compatible with overdrive.
When you let off the gas to go into over drive it might declutch, but I
don't think that would be a problem. OD would still come in as long as
the car was moving fast enough. Kicking down OD should have no effect.

The main difference in the oil pump is that the gears are about 1/2"
longer than the standard pump (and of course the pump body). The only
other difference is the cover. It has passages to feed the clutch servo
and for vacuum control. The major parts needed are the oil pump, bell,
clutch assembly, clutch fork (arm), and servo. After that there are a
half dozen electric and/or vacuum switches so the servo knows whether
the car is in neutral or in gear. I suppose you'd want the "park in
gear" cable too. Since the clutch works in reverse (light springs keep
it DISengaged, the fork puts pressure ON the pressure plate) if you want
to park in gear or tow start something needs to engage the clutch. So a
special cable (well, actually an under dash park brake pull cable, just
marked "pull to engage" or something like that) was supplied.

Tom, I'm going to have to write an E-stick article for AMC now!! Luckily
I figured out the exact sequence of operation a long time ago (don't ask
now -- I have it in my old book though!). Distilling it down into an
easy to follow path was a chore the first time -- I think I re-wrote
that one small section 3-4 times before I was satisfied with it, and
will likely re-write 2-3 times for an article again!! I've been writing
so much over the past few years that I have my rough draft thought out
in my head before I even put pen to paper (or rather finger to
keyboard).

-------------------------
Date: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 12:55 AM
From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

I have a 62 American TSM that I've never looked at, ever
(I bought it for super cheap in a used bookstore Just
Because). Thogut I'd take a look at the E-Stick setup.

What a complication! I'm sure it works OK if you drive it right
and everything is like-new, but man it's complicated! There's
all sorts of little interlocking servos and switches to get it
to behave; low hot-oil pressure, hard accell, decell, wear, you
name it there's a spring, cam switch, lever and diaphragm for it.

It's got it's own bell housing, oil pump, some clutch parts,
cables, parts, pieces and it's own steering column. It would be
harder to retrofit than air conditioning or auto to manual trans,
in the treasure hunt of insignificant and obscure hard parts.

I sure would love to have one for a while though. You don't
get much more 1950's than that.

Maybe Twin-Stick, aluminum engine, E-stick, hell, throw in a
Studey Hill Holder. Now there's a combo for a lot of weekend tune
ups. I doubt the E-stick is compatible with overdrive though.

There's an excellent out-of-the-car factory photo of the
E-stick equipped engine/trans assembly in the 62 American TSM
frontispiece.  (How often do you get to use THAT word.)