Re: [AMC-List] What's it from/for Metropolitan swap???!!!

Re: [AMC-List] What's it from/for Metropolitan swap???!!!

" From: Ken Ames <ameskg@xxxxxxxxx>
"
"
" Quoting farna@xxxxxxx:
"
" > Tom, that would be APU (auxilliary power unit). They are used in aircraft
" > (including larger helicopters) to provide starting power and ground power in
" > remote locations or for short periods. I've seen a few. They produce hp at
"
" > very high rpm as Andrew pointed out -- no useable torque, and a very narrow
"                                             --------------
" On the contrary, turbines are like steam engines, lots of torque and it starts
" at zero rpm.
"  http://www.motortrend.com/classic/features/c12_0603_1964_chrysler_turbine_car/specifications.html

this must be a free turbine design, with the output shaft driven
separately from the compressor.  it is obviously possible to design it
to give torque at zero output rpm, but like a torque converter - which
it is, in a way - at a penalty.  you have to trade efficiency for this
sort of flexibility.

" > power band. I think his electric idea has merit, but I think you'd still need
" > a battery to control the power between the gen and motor -- or a very large
" > variable resistance to dump excess power! On second thought, there should be
" > an electrical way to vary generator output without varying engine speed
" > much...

i was thinking of a permanent-magnet alternator, brute-force
controlled by an scr output bridge - but if it has a wound field it
can be controlled the same way a car alternator is, via the field
current.  i didn't think slip rings at tens of thousands of rpm was a
good idea though.

" From: "Swygert, Francis G MSgt 436 CES/CECM" <Francis.Swygert3@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" I looked at the site. It's obvious you can't have ANY torque at ZERO
" rpm!!

it -is- possible!  notice they mentioned an auto transmission -without-
torque converter -- the output turbine, on its own shaft, must have
this function.

the compressor shaft would still have to be spinning at its usual
speed.