Re: [AMC-List] Overdrives revisited.

I took a look at the Advance site. The "Warn" overdrive is not the same
as the Borg-Warner overdrive. Operation is similar in that it uses a
planetary gearset inside a "drum" gear, but all ODs do (even the
Laycock-DeNormanville, which is the design that Gear Vendors bought --
they actually purchased AMC's left-over stock and converted those to
work as add-on units, then strengthened/improved the design for new
manufacture).

Other than that there are no similarities. The B-W unit isn't
mechanically synchronized as far as I know (I've taken a couple apart --
and put back together in working order). It has an electric solenoid
that cuts ignition when engaging to prevent torque application until the
planetary is fully engaged (only takes a second or less -- one or two
firings missed). The Warn is mechanically shifted, so it needs a
synchronizer. The Warn page states a 25% engine speed reduction, all B-W
ODs were 30%.

Unfortunately there are no parts from the Warn or GV units that will
interchange with the B-W. The good thing is that ALL B-W parts, at least
post WWI production, will interchange regardless of make. The only
differences are possibly the splines on the input gear and the
electrical controls. All the OD units have a solenoid and governor, but
each manufacturer wired them differently, some with more controls than
others. AMC even used 2-3 different wiring schemes, one without a power
relay. Studebaker used one of the most complicated (in some models) that
I've seen. Check out the B-W manual at
http://www.tocmp.com/manuals/trans/Borg-Warner%20Overdrive/index.htm.
They also have a collection of Nash and AMC manuals, and info on a lot
of various automotive makes and equipment, including a Carter YF manual
from 49 and 72, and a cnearly complete AMC 73 TSM (AC is missing, maybe
one or two other things, but mostly there).