Re: [AMC-List] 1966 Classic hump mount 4spd

Re: [AMC-List] 1966 Classic hump mount 4spd

I meant the main TSM, but have to admit that I forgot about the 66 290
supplement. Since the four speed came along with the 290, of course it
would be there!! (duh!! -- on my part!!)

On a brighter note, I was looking at a Hurst shifter site last night
that has decent pics and even better, PDF files of all the installation
sheets! The shifters are held to the trans mount plate by a 7/16" bolt
that runs through a hollow shaft on the shifter itself. The AMC floor
mount shifter has a metal rod that runs through the floor mount ("hump")
and the shifter. With this in mind, a Hurst shifter could be mounted in
the AMC floor mount. Might have to have a long 7/16" bolt or steel rod,
and weld/screw a washer or drilled metal plate to each side of the floor
mount, but it should work and look about stock. I passed this info on to
Dan last night, but thought someone here may find it interesting. The
floor mount for the Twin-Stick and 65-66 floor mount auto shifter is
about the same as the four speed floor mount. Wouldn't be hard to
convert either of them to use a Hurst four speed shifter. The only
possible problem I can see is that the length of the shifter arms might
not be long enough to go through the floor, but from the instruction
sheets I perused last might I don't think this will be a problem. The
length and shape of the shift rods could be a problem, may need more or
less adjustment and an hour or two of bending, but I'd definitely go
this route if I needed to replace a shifter and wanted to keep it stock
looking. Dan's shifter was mangled by a previous owner who took it apart
and had lots of pieces left over that were thrown out when
reassembling... He sent me a pic after he saw the break-down I scanned
for him.

The link: http://www.malloryracing.com/brands.aspx?BrandID=2
Look under "Instructions" -- there are sheets for most Hurst products. I
only found one, the "Indy Shifter for Muncie" (last page) that had the
T-10 specifically mentioned. The "Competition Plus" fits several T-10
applications (no AMC listed, of course!), but you need to know the make
and year a T-10 was used (most late 50s through mid 60s). There's also a
nice tranny ID chart, so you can ID the T-10 in the instruction sheets
from looks. The only difference in the shifters for T-10s for particular
make/model/year is the bosses on the tailshaft housing. If someone is
looking for a shifter, I think the AMC tailshaft bolt pattern is closest
to some of the Fords -- don't know which one. If you're familiar with
the boss pattern on the side of the AMC T-10 tailshaft housing you
should be able to pick it out from the tranny guide or instruction
sheets. Or just drill the mounting plate in whichever shifter is
closest.