Re: [AMC-List] 327 water pump

You may have to take your pump to a parts store and have it sent in to
be rebuilt. I've had Advance do that before (after getting TWO 196 water
pumps that were the wrong ones for my car!), but you may have better
luck with NAPA. Back in SC there's a rebuilding business about an hour's
drive from my house, so it's easy enough to take things like that right
to the source! You might check the yellow pages and see if there is one
if you're near a large city, but it's not likely.

Do you have the ID tags for the engines, and/or know what they came out
of? I would suspect that the short shaft is for a 63-66 Classic or 62-64
Ambassador, while the long shaft is from a 58-61 or 65-66 Ambassador.
The ID tags are on the generator bracket, decode number at
www.amcrc.com/tech/engine.html.

Another possibility for the short one is the 1956 Ambo/Hornet Special
(they used the 250 and short wheelbase Statesman/Wasp bodies, long
wheelbase used the big OHV six) and 56-60 Rebel/61 Classic V-8 (250
except the 57 SE Rebel). The long shaft could also cross to the 57
Ambo/Hornet 327 (long wheelbase).

As far as I know there should only be the two pumps for the short and
long wheelbase cars. 250/287 should all be short shaft, 327 could be
either depending on year (only used in Ambo and 57 Rebel from factory,
with the exception of the 57 Hornet).