Re: [AMC-List] E-stick clutch

I did a nice write-up on that thing for my book. It's a compilation of
mechanical, hydraulic, and vacuum switches -- all which have to work
together in just the right order. That's probably not to much of a
problem though. The thing had to be made with a lot of slip in the
clutch though, so with a lot of in-town driving the disc lasted around
20K-30K miles. I've only seen one E-stick car, and it was in the process
of being converted to a regular clutch when I got it (and completed the
conversion -- the pedal had been installed and the clutch/bell/oil pump
changed -- old parts in trunk). It was SOOOOO long ago!! Back in 1985 or
so. Had to give away the parts when I moved (not that I wanted them). It
was converted because the engine had about 85K-90K miles and oil
pressure had started dropping to the point the clutch would slip when
cruising. Those engines would hold 60-70 psi cold, 40+ hot when new and
in good condition. When it drops down to 25-30 hot the clutch would slip
pulling hills. This was in Idaho, car was originally from around Boise,
so there were a few "hills". The slipping problem was mostly in the
mountains, hot and at altitude. In the valley with low inclines it
wasn't to much trouble. I'm recalling most of this from 20 years ago and
what the previous owner had told me, so I could be off a bit! I'm
guessing on the oil pressure. I recall the little L-head ran great and
had no problems with a standard stick shift, and oil pressure was "good"
cold and hot for a near 100K mile engine with dubious maintenance.