[AMC-List] bad bearing

Dave, I hope the noise/vibration was from the trans. Most of the
bearings are standard types available through a bearing and drive
supply. You'll need the numbers off the bearings, so can't order until
you pull them out. I got parts for a T-96, including a new cluster gear
and hard to find input shaft for the heavy duty "J" model (only AMC used
it, two years only!), from All-Trans in Greenville, SC
(http://www.alltransparts.com/). They specialize in manual
transmissions.

It's hard to order anything but run-of-the-mill parts through a chain
car parts store. You have to go to specialty dealers, or try the
privately owned places. Of the chains, only NAPA usually has competent
people. I don't mean that as a slam for any of you who work in parts
stores -- there are exceptions! Examine your co-workers/help...

About your torque tube... Tom said something interesting! You have an
unusual axle, so it's quite possible the shaft inside the tube is a
heavy duty variety also. Check your TSM first, the older models may not
have had a center bearing. But I have a question -- was the shaft a
solid metal rod 1-1.5" in diameter, or was it a larger diameter (2" or
more) tubular shaft? If tubular that's why no center bearing. A tubular
shaft is more flex resistant. If by chance it's solid, look around the
center of the shaft for two grooves about 1/16" deep all the way around
the shaft. Those would be for lock rings and indicate that it did have a
bearing at one time. It's possible that a bad bearing was removed -- a
little vibration at speed would have been better than a very noisy
bearing all the time. I'd never do anyting like that as more than a
temporary "fix", but some people...