Re: [AMC-List] Fw: Chrome 140+ amp alternator??

Re: [AMC-List] Fw: Chrome 140+ amp alternator??

You can put as big an alternator on the engine as will fit.
The issues are size, wiring, need.
If you put the 140 amp alternator on, I'd suggest a GM one wire to keep it simple. It should adapt fairly easily. If you don't need it it won't produce 140 amps. Cabling needs to be sized to carry that kind of amperage, fuses are also needed to keep things safe.
  A lot of people put big alternators on and they don't need them. They are simply spending money. If your system does not draw a heavy enough load, the alternator doesn't put out the max amperage. Biggest mistake is to instal one of these, need it and have the wiring undersized! poof! No more car!
  On the flip side, I heard tell of a guy who knew how to setup an alternator to put out 110 and since his heater core was gone. He mounted a second alternator wired for the 110 output and installed an electric heater! It placed so much load on the little six that the engine would stall when he turned the heater on. He then mounted a throttle hand control to pull when he was running the heater!  Why he thought any of this was easier then putting in a new heater core I do not know!
--
Mark Price
markprice242ATadelphia.net