Re: [AMC-List] Transmission Interchange..

Re: [AMC-List] Transmission Interchange..

I'm going to have to save your post for sure! Sounds like you have two
different model transmissions. The 196 should have had a T-35 (or M-35),
the 232 tranny is probably a M-37 if it's air cooled. I knew there were
some differences, but not what. Now we know!

As for the yokes not fitting... I bet the difference is in the spline
pitch or the width of the splines. That's the only way I can think of
that the 232 yoke would fit the 196 trans but not vice-versa. You sure
you didn't get them mixed up when you tried?

In any case, go to the nearest NAPA. They make several "cross breed"
u-joints for engine swaps. The 196 joint is the same as early six
cylinder Falcon and Mustangs. I'm not sure what the 232 joint would
cross over to, if anything. You'll need to measure the distance from cap
to cap with the joint assembled and the diameter of the caps on each
joint. Obviously you want a u-joint with two of the 196 size caps and
two of the 232 size. I'd take the joints with you in case you need to
compare them and to check sizes. If this doesn't work you'll have to
take both shafts to a driveline shop and have them mate the two. The
last time I did this I also had to have the shaft length changed, and it
was $150. I suspect more like $200-$250 in your neck of the woods and
now (I had one done 2-3 years ago when I put the Jag axle in, and in
Mississippii!). Call around though -- I bought a used driveshaft end as
well when I had mine done, but that was only $25 or so.

--------------------

Date: Tuesday, November 28, 2006 03:09 PM
From: Jerijan Baldwin <jerijan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Greetings Group...

I have just spent the forth day doing an 'easy change' placing a 232
Transmission from 1970 into a 1965 American with a 196.
Easy Change...almost...
I was told it was a drop and do...
Except...
I had to change the input shaft and the shaft the oil pump mounts to so
the
Torque converter would fit...
This is because the torque converter from the 196 would not fit the
splines on the 232's tranny...Changed the bell housings and tried the
232 torque converter and...the bell housing would not allow the
transmission to 'go in'..it hit the cowl with the engine lowered in the
rear.
So...changed the two shafts in the front of the trans and...put the 196
torque converter on it and the original bell housing (from the 196)
and...
AL-Ley-Leu-YA!!  IT FIT INTO THE CAR...and every thing lined up nicely..
Everything, that is, except...
The YOKE.
The Yoke from the 196 does not go into the 232's tailshaft.
Seems the 232's yoke did fit the 196's tranny (strange, isn 't it??
Same with the torque convertor..the 232's fit the 196 but not vice
versa)...

Any Ideas short of cutting and inventing a new driveshift with a larger
Yoke?? What Yoke will fit this which has a small Universal Joint but
splines which fit the 232 transmission??