Re: [AMC-List] Blasphemy

A: In the same vein (hopefully this won't get too bloody!) not vain (as in
taking the lord's name) I always opt for something a little more AMC.
Replace the tired old flatheads with Jeep 4 cyls (there is a remarkably
large amount of them being pulled along with the wiring harness and computer
and being replaced with 4.0L and 4.6L strokers)
   You wouldn't believe how many people think I'm crazy for replacing the
dead 360 in my '73 J4000 with a 304 from a '77 AMX (it's been keeping me
rolling for almost 4 years now and only the waterpump disintegrating has
been catastrophic because it took my brand new rad with it!) because I use
it for near extreme hauling. (many loads in the 6500lb range without much of
a whimper unless the 2100 has bad gas)
   I'd like to do more with it. (wish I'd kept the Holley 2 bbl TBI system
off the 5.0L Tbird I sold a couple years ago for next to nothing) Then my
wife would be more inclined to ride around in it (too noisy and too cold
with no tunes cuz it looks like a toon car! AM radio doesn't work in the
boonies)

From: "Jim Boone" <fljab@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AMC-List] Blasphemy
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Non-AMC powered cars has been and still is a subject that brings
out very
vocal opinions.  It's been discussed here on the list at length
at different
times, usually with great debate.  AMO a couple of yrs ago
finally voted in
a non-AMC powered class for shows.

I have always been of the opinion that there really is no
good-enough reason
to put a Cheby engine (the usual choice) in your AMC (or Ford,
Mopar, etc).
There are still plenty of good engines - esp. 360's - out there
that can be
configured to make good power reasonably to satisfy most needs.

Now, that being said, it's hard to argue when you go to a car
show/large
swap meet, and you see trailer loads of wreck/take out LS1
engines+OD trans
that make good power, are very reasonably priced, and require
little to put
in other than figuring out the mounts and how to hook the
computer up with
the appropriate sensors.

With that in mind, I saw something this weekend at the Daytona
Turkey Rod
Run that I think is a great alternative to using GM power.  Use
a late model
Hemi!  I saw a 4000 mile 5.7L engine+auto trans
w/computer/sensors/wiring
for about $3K.  At least it's in the family, or you can make
that argument
anyway.  Plus, that's in the range of what it would take to
build a good AMC
engine at today's prices.

The Mopar Hemi's are getting plentiful in the junkyard - at
least the 5.7's.
  The 6.1L - 425 HP versions are still scarce and pricey, but
for a driver,
the smaller one would surely liven up an American.  It would
offer power,
reliability, driveability, and wouldn't be a GM!  So, if you
must do a swap,
then think about using this combo.

Just a thought from my overactive mind...

Jim Boone
Mims, FL