[AMC-List] Blasphemy

Date: Monday, November 27, 2006 10:52 AM
From: <mailto:fljab@xxxxxxxxxxx?subject=%5BAMC-List%5D%20Blasphemy>Jim
Boone <fljab@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Non-AMC powered cars has been and still is a subject that brings out very
vocal opinions.  It's been discussed here on the list at length at different
times, usually with great debate.  AMO a couple of yrs ago finally voted in
a non-AMC powered class for shows.

I have always been of the opinion that there really is no good-enough reason
to put a Cheby engine (the usual choice) in your AMC (or Ford, Mopar, etc).
There are still plenty of good engines - esp. 360's - out there that can be
configured to make good power reasonably to satisfy most needs.

Now, that being said, it's hard to argue when you go to a car show/large
swap meet, and you see trailer loads of wreck/take out LS1 engines+OD trans
that make good power, are very reasonably priced, and require little to put
in other than figuring out the mounts and how to hook the computer up with
the appropriate sensors.

With that in mind, I saw something this weekend at the Daytona Turkey Rod
Run that I think is a great alternative to using GM power.  Use a late model
Hemi!  I saw a 4000 mile 5.7L engine+auto trans w/computer/sensors/wiring
for about $3K.  At least it's in the family, or you can make that argument
anyway.  Plus, that's in the range of what it would take to build a good AMC
engine at today's prices.

The Mopar Hemi's are getting plentiful in the junkyard - at least the 5.7's.
   The 6.1L - 425 HP versions are still scarce and pricey, but for a driver,
the smaller one would surely liven up an American.  It would offer power,
reliability, driveability, and wouldn't be a GM!  So, if you must do a swap,
then think about using this combo.

Just a thought from my overactive mind...

Jim Boone
Mims, FL
I've always believed that if you own a car , then you should have the right
to do what ever you want with it. I know Rick Payne and I've seen his 72
Javelin when he started out pretty much with good shell but no drive line
or interior. Any way I've got the story behind AMO having a non-AMC powered
car class. While I'm not really greatly in favor of non AMC powered AMCs ,
like I said if you own it you should have the right to do what ever you
want to your own car. But the story behind the non AMC powered class in AMO
is funny, very funny as far as I'm concerned. The story is about six years old
but no ones told it yet and I only heard it a year or so after the fact but
I've talked with the party involved and confirmed the story to my
satisfaction. I won't use the name or tell you the specific car but any way
here goes. Like I said I consider the story to be very funny.

Our story starts about six or so years ago at an AMO meet in the Midwest.
Like I said I talked to the party involved but only to confirm the story. I
believe it was an AMO National meet , but I don't really ask where or when.
Like I said it was a year or two after the fact before I heard about it and
got it confirmed from the party involved. Any way this guy has an early
Hornet 2 door sedan judged at an AMO "concourse" and I use that word
"concourse" very loosely. The car was judged in a non-stock AMC class and
was awarded I believe a Silver award. A couple months latter AMO when back
to said guy and asked for the award back. Seems the car had a orange
colored small block Chevy in the Hornet! What I find very funny is AMO
judged the car and no one noticed the car had a small block Chevy in it for
a couple months. The party involved would not give the award back and
rightly so since it was in a non-stock class and I believe AMO "concourse"
rules never specially barred non AMC engines in a non stock class. So AMO
went after the fact and created a non AMC powered non-stock car class. This
why it was done. I took some of the egg off there faces giving an award to
Chevy powered Hornet. I really think that is funny. It's sad , but funny.

Here is the problem I have with it, not that they awarded a non AMC powered
car an award. They (AMO)calls a judged car show a "concourse" when it
really not. In a true "concourse" you would have trained judges and a set
of standards , not a rather loose set of general guide lines like AMC has
now. Judged car show not a concourse. In fact at Dayton this year I was
sitting in the Hotel lobby talking with the number 2 guy on AMO "Concourse"
judging and he was telling me AMO was having a big problem getting any cars
in a stock class of any type. Two reasons for this, one there is not
written standard for stock. AMCRC comes closer to now having a written
standard for stock then AMO does which , well has nothing written down nor
does the newsletter really give clue one to what it  is or should be. In
fact in my opinion AMO shows a great deal of we had this car show and very
little on the actual marque of AMC itself. The other bigger problem is some
parts to restore a car , just are not out there, making 100% stock a really
tuff deal, especially on an odd less common AMC. You can most of the stuff
for an AMX or Javelin. Some times it comes at a dear price. Do not get me
started on the $700 factory correct date coded fan belt for 1969 AMX some
one paid. I just find funny that AMO blows this deal and then changed the
rules to partly at least cover it up , by creating a non AMC powered AMC
class. Admit you don't have a true concourse and fix the problem , don't
just cover the problem up. thanks , Larry R. Daum