Re: [AMC-List] Continuing Saga of Doc the Jeep, Part II.5

Here's a little something to put in your pipe: Altering the cam advanced also mods the power band (as in where it starts/stops in the RPM band) I used the 3 key set in my '66 Fairlane's 289 and couldn't get any top end RPM. It had brutal power to 1700 RPM then fell flat... It also pinged like a banshee! Retarded the cam and voilà! no more probs!

From: Nick Lenarz <n9viw@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-List] Continuing Saga of Doc the Jeep, Part
II.5
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

WOO HOO!!! I KNEW I wasn't crazy! :p

Just got off the phone with William at Comp Cams tech help line.
asked him what the correlation was, if any, between ignition
timing and
valve timing. He told me that, depending on where the valve
timing is,
the ignition timing is going to HAVE to change in order to
capture the
best possible ignition time in relation to both the crankshaft
position
AND valve positions.
If I had set my adjustable timing set to the 3* retarded
position, my
ignition timing would subsequently have to be retarded as well
produce power at the point the valves are closed and the piston
is at
TDC; however, since I advanced the timing gears on a cam that's
ALREADY
advanced, I put myself in a bind. The 7* combined valve advance
would
REQUIRE ignition timing so far advanced that the moment between
running
well and running poorly is like a razor's edge.
He asked me if I had a 'bodacious' (he's in TN) spark knock at
acceleration, and I said yes. He said that would well prove it-
if the
engine will only run at a particularly high ignition advance but
still
knock, the cam is too far advanced. If I back the crank down to
0*, I
should be able to reset my ignition timing to a more appropriate
level,
which will eliminate the knock!

I say again, WOO HOOOOO!!! I'm tempted to add a "f'n" in the
middle
there, but this is a family forum. :D
Tonight I'm gonna go home and strip the nose of the Jeep in prep
for
getting that timing set out and repositioned. Finally, the light
at the
end of the tunnel ISN'T a train!! :D :D :D