Re: [AMC-List] Speed Channel's "American Motors AMX" show

Re: [AMC-List] Speed Channel's "American Motors AMX" show

Tom Jennings wrote:

Just watched it.

Pretty good show! Covered, minimally but accurately, AMC's
history, their economy background, changing small-car market
in the early 1960's as background.

Instead of disappearing the Ramblers and stodgy non-performance
brethren, the AMX is accurately contextualized in AMC's product
line. Pretty flattering while remaining honest. Multiple
references to the fact that the Corvette was it's only product
competitor.

Lotsa good car pictures, though a few too many of the same
dragstrip takeoffs, and not enough historic footage (a bit of
Breedlove, Donohue, Penske was nice) (but then I'm not a drag
racing enthusiast :-)

So who's the AMC nut that made this show?  Most of the cars
and drivers are in Georgia, so I'd guess it's some Peach
State AMC-er.  And how did they get a car TV show to go
along? Congratulations times 10!

Since you asked, I will tell you a little bit about how the show came to be.
I received a phone call one day from one of the producers (Toby Murphy).
Toby told me who he was and that he had found my name and number on the
Internet from an advertisement for the Southeast Regional.  He informed me
that he was filming a show on the AMX and that he had filmed 2 cars at the
pure stock drags in Michigan and that he needed to film more cars.  He said
that they were here in Georgia and could I help him find some more AMXs.

I emphatically said "How many do you want, when do you want them and where
do you want them?"  As we continued to talk I told him that I could get the
cars he needed if he would just take a few shots of my Javelin and talk
about the AMXs "big brother".  I immediately told him that I was only
kidding and that I was just happy to see some AMCs being shown on TV.  We
worked out the details and he filmed the show.  While they were shooting
they took "beauty shots" of my Javelin and even asked me to step in front of
the camera and say something.  I spouted out a few unintelligible words
standing in front of 2 Javelins and the day was over, several hours later.

When the show aired, they in fact did show my Javelin for 53 seconds (not
that I was counting!) :-) and talked about what the Javelin and AMX had in
common and what made them different.  He actually did what I jokingly
suggested!  They also aired my few seconds of babbling.  I'm glad that they
spent more time showing the car than me.

Many others from Peach State AMO also helped with the show.  Besides those
who brought cars several members supplied historical data, pictures and
other artifacts.  I could mention some of the names, but I won't because now
several years later I would forget someone who deserved a mention.  But
suffice it to say that you are right, it was mostly Peach State members,
along with a couple a guys from Michigan and one or two friends from other
areas as well.  I think that the show turned out well and I'm happy that I
was able to be a part of it.

Jeff Barfield
jrbarfield@xxxxxxxxxxx
<http://www.threejeffsamc.com/>
69 Javelin SST 343
82 Spirit DL 258
73 Hornet 258 (1/3 owner)
AMO #2550
Peach State AMO (Host of the 2007 AMC Southeast Regionals)
394 Creek Crossing Ct.
Grayson, GA 30017
770 466-8463