Re: [AMC-List] 62 classic project (power steering)

Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 16:24:26 -0800 (PST)
From: d stohler <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx>

i am wanting to put power steering in my 62 classic. anybody know what power
steering box would be closest to bolting up to the original steering box mounts?

None, really. Pre 65 Ramblers used a Moraine "cross ram" type power steering. There was a hydraulic ram (cylinder) that replaced the drag link. It had a "motion sensing" valve where the pitman arm of a standard steering box attached to the cylinder body. The shaft of the cylinder attached to a bracket on the opposite "frame" rail.

But there is a simpler way! I mounted a standard GM power steering box (from an 80 Concord) to my 63 Classic. Only the bottom hole of a three hole mount GM power steering box will fit the existing steering box holes. I drilled the other two. The highest mounting hole was actually above the "frame" rail. I just used a piece of steel tubing as a spacer between the steering box and inner fender well. The tubing and hole were right against the top of the rail. Not sure but suspect it would be about the same location on the 62.

The real task is mounting the steering shaft. 62-64 Ramblers have a long shaft from the steering box to the steering wheel -- one continuous shaft. To keep the original steering column the shaft must be cut off and ground to fit the rubber coupling from the donor steering shaft (it can be a Concord or any GM steering box). These usually have a 5/8" (or 3/4") shaft with one or two flats ground on it. If the Rambler steering shaft is the same diameter, grind the flats to match after cutting to the correct length. Remember, the shaft attaches to the steering wheel and shaft length determines how much space is between the column and wheel. Check shaft length WITH THE WHEEL ATTACHED AND BOLTED DOWN TIGHT. A little to much length is better than not enough! The coupleing should allow you 1/8"-1/4" of play to work with though.

Of course you can always use this as an excuse to change to a later model steering column. That's a whole 'nother can 'o worms though!!

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"