Re: [AMC-List] Speaking of Suspensions-Now turbos

Re: [AMC-List] Speaking of Suspensions-Now turbos

SMILE WHEN YOU SAY THAT!!
But for sure, I have had a desire to build a turbo I-6 and I have a low
Mileage 232 to serve as a base for one. I just wonder what it would take
screw together a 232 with a hair dryer that would embarrass a GN Buick.
--------------------

I don't know about embarrassing a GN, but it sure wouldn't take much to
embarrass a lot of vehicles! But then Tom's got the setup needed to
embarrass a GN. Just isn't easy to package an ex Indy engine in a car!
The only thing I can come up with is an American or 63-65 Classic coupe
(hmmm.... an old Typhoon coupe -- make it REALLY live up to the name!)
with the left spring tower removed to make room for the turbo, which
wouldn't be far over the tire.

Leave the American rails by cutting the inner wheel wells off about an
inch above the ral (make sure you leave the spot welds and a little
extra) then bracing with 1" tubing. Use the lower control arms and
crossmember from the American, and install struts (aftermarket early
mustang kit or a modified Volvo or 280ZX strut) to eliminate the upper
control arms. The upper strut mounts should clear the turbo, the upper
control arm mounts are mostly in the way. I've seen this done on a
Chrysler late 60s/early 70s Dart body in a drag car. I was surprised to
see the factory rails in front, but looked like it was holding up well,
and had been in use for several years. Owner said it would pick the
front wheel up off the ground (built 440 -- I believe it!) and even with
slamming down on occasion he'd never had any problems. The eight point
roll cage helped though!