Re: [AMC-List] 'check this freak' <> Speaking of Suspensions <>

Re: [AMC-List] 'check this freak' <> Speaking of Suspensions <>

I CAN shoe - horn a Toyota Supra Twin Turbo Inline 6 in
and bolt up to the Lexus 6spd tho......... hmmm
----------------------------

But Brien, you can build a twin turbo AMC six for about the same price
as the Supra engine, and would be a lot easier to install! I'm not as
against using Japanese and European engines as other hot rodders. The
way I see it if you're changing brand engines you may as well use the
best engine that suits your purposes, or defer to easy availability
(like you just happen to have a buddy with a wrecked Supra or whatever
who wants to get rid of it cheap, and you have a Hornet with a blown
engine and lots of time...). Once you're swapping from the original make
it just doesn't matter to me if you're using a US engine or not. But I
prefer to stay close to the original if possible within reason. I do
plan on using a Ford 2.3L turbo four in an American roadster project,
and the main reason is I know it's a heck of a strong four and I got it
and the T-5 mated to it cheap. The original plan was to look for a Jeep
four, no turbo. When the turbo Merkur XR4ti came up for $250, complete
car, I got to thinking turbo, T-5, AND a IRS package that would fit the
2 American body... all as bonuses to buying the engine!! To hard to pass
that up!! So it suited my purposes (a reasonably powerful four) and was
cheap, plus all the bonus parts to work with! This is going to be a
rather radical custom anyway, not a resto-rod, so I'm not as concerned
about keeping it all AMC. Will probably build, play with a while, then
sell to finance a real AMC project. That's if it's successful. I plan on
learning a lot of body work techniques with this project, and could end
up with a ruined body -- depends on my sectioning success! I'd love to
move the cowl back too, but that might be more than I'm willing to
attempt. Take a look at the Bud XR-400. It's a cut up 62 Classic. I'd
like to do something similar with my 62 American, but will likely just
section it 3-4", weld the doors shut, take the top off, and strengthen
the under body (convertible type cross bracing -- ever seen the
underside of a 61-63 convertible? Amazingly stiff body!!).