Re: [AMC-List] pulling an axle

" From: "Jim Blair" <carnuck@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" A: I'm about to find out about some of this stuff. I just sold a customer
" some ZJ rear disc brakes today and found out that there was a '93/94 only
" rear disc brake version. The rest were the same '95 thru '98.

i've heard that zj rear disks are a straight swap to any c-clip jeep
d35 with abs even if you have to include the axle shafts, -except- for
the e-brake cables.  i don't know if there's a clean solution for
this; i've only heard of hacks that used the drum brake cables.

"   I'd like to get a Model 20 (from a Comanche) soon to put under my truck
" (hopefully while I do the AW4 from BA 10/5 swap) so I can do a rear disc
" brake conversion. I don't want to waste the money on my current D35.

if it's a non-c-clip d35, the disk kit may be the same.

"    My buddy Brian (with the '82 Spirit) needs rear brakes, so we will be
" robbing the backing plates and drums from the spare D35 (they are 10" He has
" the expen$ive 9") I have, unless it's the correct width to fit? Anyone? '87
" XJ D35 in place of an '82 Spirit M15? (spring pads and brackets don't matter
" as I have a welder and the ability from learning to weld on the Alaska
" pipeline years ago and more recent other Jeep axle welding)

i don't think the d35 backing plates will fit the amc15 axle.  the d35
-should- be the same width as the eagle's amc15, but i believe that's
a tad wider than the rwd car's rear.

a number of late-'70s/early-'80s cars came with 10" on amc15s, most
commonly wagons and spirit amxes.