Re: [AMC-List] Overdrive Options?

A: I don't recall what the trans was I had for my '66 Fairlane. It was
supposedly a 3 speed modded with O/D in place of reverse and reverse moved
into the tail stock? (Ford Factory Granada thing I bought from
http://www.darkhorseperformance.com well before Y2K. He's the West Coast
Tremec dealer and repair shop) I used it with the column shifter and put a
Jeep Quadratrac low range cable under the dash to operate reverse gear (as
it had 3 levers) I had to push in the handle to engage reverse (made a great
theft detterent till I swapped from 289 std to 428 auto and it was stolen)
which wouldn't let any other gear engage unless it was pulled out (most
would think it was an Ebrake and push it in)

From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
Subject: Re: [AMC-List] Overdrive Options?
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

" From: "BUS-ENG" <jay@xxxxxxxxxx>
"
" I am hoping someone on the list has personal experience
" with installing an overdrive on an AMC 3-speed car.
"
" The tranny in my newly-acquired (from Mike Kindle in
" LA) '69 American SW is going to need some work.
"
" While at it, I thought would be great opportunity to install
" either (a) a transmission with a built-in OD, or (b) add
" the Laycock unit to the T-14 in the car, or to the 150-T
" that the FAQ lists as a good substitute.

the laycock was never used with the t14, only with the t150
which
won't fit the pre-'72 sixes.  you could in principle adapt it,
starting with say a 4wd jeep t14 mainshaft and extension case
and
making your parts from there.

" I want to keep the column shift and to keep the car as
" original as possible, but would like the quiet and economy
" of an overdrive.
"
" Informed suggestions?

not sure what you mean by 'transmission with a built-in OD', but
if
you have a 199 or 232 your only options are a t96 or t14, with
or
without the warner r10 o/d.  t14-o/d were only available '68-9,
not
popular, and very rare now.  it's the more desireable though as
it's
full synchro, and stronger than the t96 to boot.

if you have a 232, your tranny now should be the t14.
internet rambler                            is to see what all
have seen
adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                       and think what none
thought