Re: [AMC-List] pulling an axle

A: I'm about to find out about some of this stuff. I just sold a customer
some ZJ rear disc brakes today and found out that there was a '93/94 only
rear disc brake version. The rest were the same '95 thru '98.
  I'd like to get a Model 20 (from a Comanche) soon to put under my truck
(hopefully while I do the AW4 from BA 10/5 swap) so I can do a rear disc
brake conversion. I don't want to waste the money on my current D35.
   My buddy Brian (with the '82 Spirit) needs rear brakes, so we will be
robbing the backing plates and drums from the spare D35 (they are 10" He has
the expen$ive 9") I have, unless it's the correct width to fit? Anyone? '87
XJ D35 in place of an '82 Spirit M15? (spring pads and brackets don't matter
as I have a welder and the ability from learning to weld on the Alaska
pipeline years ago and more recent other Jeep axle welding)

From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
Subject: Re: [AMC-List] pulling an axle
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

" From: Mark Price <markprice242@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" One more thing you'll notice if you drive both Xj's the pre
C-clip axles are much quieter!!!
"  The earlier axles are tight in the bearing. The C-clip axle
knock in and out on rough roads and clunk!
"   If you've got a choice of two axles, like gear,posi etc; I'd
pick the earlier axle due to larger brakes and the quieter
operation.
"   That being said, I know there is a popular swap to Grand
Cherokee rear discs on the XJ axle, early and late will work,
you jsut have to do a few things differently. I'm wondering what
it would take to move up to the 10" brakes on a 97 axle. I'd
think if the discs swap the drums should too!

hmmm...

afaik the early d35 axle housingss have a square flange, same as
the
amc20 [yes] and some jeep d44 and ford axles.  i hadn't heard
the gc
disk swap would work on early axles, but i don't know
everything...
also afaik the c-clip d35s have a mopar housing flange, so maybe
10" -
or even 11" - mopar brakes would bolt on.
internet rambler                            is to see what all
have seen
adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                       and think what none
thought

-