Re: [AMC-List] Ambassadors

> it is with morbid amusement that i see japanese companies successfully
> import their suvs as -cars- but get them past the epa and dot etc as
> -trucks-.
> <<
>
> But you didn't die laughing when Neon, the Belvidere*, Illinois domestic car became PT Cruiser, the Toluca, Mexico import truck?  Didn't you read what DaimlerChrysler had your Congress put into Title 49 of your Federal Code [Part 523, Section 523.5, Paragraph (a), Provision (5)]
>
> "Permit expanded use of the automobile for cargo-carrying purposes or other nonpassenger-carrying purposes through the removal of seats by means installed for that purpose by the automobile's manufacturer or with simple tools such as screwdrivers and wrenches, so as to create a flat, floor level, surface extending from the forward-most point of installation of those seats to the rear of the automobile's interior."
>
> or were you blinded by the Rising Sun?  You get what they get paid for: Republicans or Democrats (and other species of political hack...)

Don't be such a Brat John...

I recall it was the American auto industry that played games with
the truck category to slow imports down (remember the gyrations
Subaru did with the Brat to get it to be a "truck"?) rather
than >gasp< actually compete with them. I recall the charges
of Japanese unfair dumping, gov't suppor of Japanese cars,
etc, but if you look back NOW those cars weren't THAT good,
but the AMerican cars were that BAD. Too bad for us, now, that
they didn't simpyl take it then as a wake-up call to make better
American cars.