[AMC-List] Ambassadors

Subject: [AMC-List] 1953 2 door SEDAN NASH Airflite for sale

tried to find some pics of this car (google was no help this time)
<<

Maybe Google knew that Nash built an -Airflyte- not an "Airflite":

http://info.detnews.com/dn/joyrides/1999/orphans/53nash.jpg

don't think there are any 15" wheelcovers that'd look good on a grem
- they're made for ambo wagons mostly
<<

If you're thinking "in Gremlin's time" --- which Ambo wagons had 15s?

Don't say Hindustan Ambassadors [which did]: they didn't make wagons:

http://www.hmambassador.com/iszmpfi.asp

Ralph's old Ambassador wagon TV commercial, Noah's new Ambassador page, and Eddie's ongoing Ambassador sales: count up all the old Ambassadors.  But count one fewer now: the Ambassador "ploody" wagon that doubled for the Olds Vista Cruiser in a recent crash --- created by the stunt director whose ex-father-in-law produced "The Man With The Golden Gun."

>From 1974!  (AKA "When the Last Independent Made The Last Ambassador")

Bad Robot!  (Alias "Lost In Six Degrees Of A Star Trek Nine Joy Ride")

That should keep you thinking for awhile.  (And it is AMC-related...)

it is with morbid amusement that i see japanese companies successfully
import their suvs as -cars- but get them past the epa and dot etc as
-trucks-.
<<

But you didn't die laughing when Neon, the Belvidere*, Illinois domestic car became PT Cruiser, the Toluca, Mexico import truck?  Didn't you read what DaimlerChrysler had your Congress put into Title 49 of your Federal Code [Part 523, Section 523.5, Paragraph (a), Provision (5)]

"Permit expanded use of the automobile for cargo-carrying purposes or other nonpassenger-carrying purposes through the removal of seats by means installed for that purpose by the automobile's manufacturer or with simple tools such as screwdrivers and wrenches, so as to create a flat, floor level, surface extending from the forward-most point of installation of those seats to the rear of the automobile's interior."

or were you blinded by the Rising Sun?  You get what they get paid for: Republicans or Democrats (and other species of political hack...)

(*Belvedere = Plymouth model; Belvidere = Chryco plant; don't buy your Mopar knowledge from those auto experts who don't differentiate...)

Stick some Ambassador emblems on it to make a faux 87-89 AMC Ambo -- at least that was a thought when Kenosha assembled the New Yorker/Diplomat (though not a two door).  Does anyone have any photos of the test mule/prototype Ambassador
<<

A 112.7" two-door "Ambassador" was built (a modified "Imperial" mockup) and destroyed.  B&W photos.  AFAIK, no M-body four-door "AMC" ever was prototyped or modeled, only rendered.  The one 118" R-body "AMC" built (and it was photographed in color) by an outside contractor was -not- what Lee wanted: not only were GM and Ford parts on it, but it looked more expensive than the St. Regis Touring; maybe even more elegant than the New Yorker Fifth Avenue.
Chrysler was not keen on the production of a new Kenosha Cadillac.

You may see those cars or the 115" Pacer-based "Matadors" or the 108" "last" Ambassador or the three final "faces" of AMX Turbo (plus design details, from grilles to wings to wheels to lighting) when you see a serious and stable state of AMC.  That AMC is still to be seen.

You are in charge of the AMC hobby: you're AMC now.

As a hobby, we need to stop selling our cars short.
They are worth a lot more than what we have been
getting for them.  AMC is still a great buy when you
consider the market.  Look at the SS AMX for example.
They made a heck of a lot more Hemi Cudas yet a Cuda
will bring 3-4 times as much money.  Daytona or
Superbird, again more than the SS AMX yet one of those
I have seen bring over $1,000,000.00.  Heck there are
probably still more in existence today then 52 SS they
made.  How about the LS6 Chevelle that brought over
1mil.  Restore you car to the best of your means.
Take care of it and don't let it waste away.  Some day
that car might make a difference in your life.  I
applaud anyone who gets more than the last AMC of it's
kind.  We can't continue to get more products for them
without those willing to pay up for a car.
<<

In whichever recent motor magazine had a SC/Rambler on the cover and AMC articles inside, a '71 Chevrolet Kingswood Estate wagon is "worth" over $10k; what's the "value" of a '71 AMC Ambassador Brougham wagon by comparison?  Why???

Don't say "AMC is not about the money!" --- you've already laid that one on me.  The most "valuable" car I owned was the one I was the -happiest- to sell (for over $200k): not because I didn't like it or what it stood for: the height of innovation, style, and performance by any dead American independent), but because it became more an "investment" vehicle than a "pleasure" vehicle.  (That said, still more AMC "appreciation" would not be a bad thing for AMC now...)

AMC still used leaded seams in 1977.  The C-pillar
seams were leaded.  In addition there were three or
four braised spots in this area and at the front of
the quarter, just below the front of the quarter
window and at the rear near the tail light piece.
<<

AMC was one of the last "majors" to lead in the '80s; AMC also was one of the last "low-price" makers to hand-weld (and to hand-braze) steel.

AMC was almost last to vent front windows, was outlasted by ~10 years

http://tinyurl.com/yz289q

Count the [six] window switches (but Lincoln couldn't flap its wings...)

have always wondered what it would be like to drive off in a blue Funk!
<<

...like driving Isuzu's Mysterious Utility

http://www.isuzu.co.jp/museum/suv/mu.html

...taking to the road in Honda's Life Dunk

http://www.honda.co.jp/manual/life-dunk/2003/

...or taking on VW Beetle with an AMC badge.

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/parts/amc_gremlin_sign.JPG

Drive different.

Drive an AMC.

Drive away.