Re: [AMC-List] Jeep? Ford? same difference (hot rod chassis!)

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006, Jim Blair wrote:

> A: CJ came 2wd (DJs) and so did Comanches (I thought about chopping down a
> cab and using the uniframe for a buggy) so solid front axles are easy to
> come by (just ask and I'll post an enquiry to the Comanche group I'm on. I'm
> sure you can have your choice for @$50 or so) Even a Grand Wagoneer frame
> would work, but '73 and older are narrower (at least in front)

Didn't realize that! I've not abandoned this jeep/rod idea.

> From: "Swygert, Francis G MSgt 436 CES/CECM"

> Problem: Jeep CJ wheelbase is damned short!! Might work with an
> old 50s
> Willys Jeep pick-up chassis, or even an FSJ Wagoneer/Cherokee.
> No matter
> what you do it will sit high and require a new front axle, so
> costs is
> going to be up there.

I'm not convinced that the jeep chassis as rod chassis will
be costly. I've done no work/research on bodies (and I am not
happy with Ford cliches) but removing the jeep body bracketry,
and repositioning the rear shock mounts, fillin unsightly holes
if body sits on rails, getting new leaf springs all around,
and a beam/tube axle, is not that big a deal.

Clearly the AMC driveline stuff bolts in.

I'm not saying body/tub is trivial, it's not. That's next,
then I iterate from chassis up again.