Re: [AMC-List] Jeep? Ford? same difference (hot rod chassis!)

A: CJ came 2wd (DJs) and so did Comanches (I thought about chopping down a
cab and using the uniframe for a buggy) so solid front axles are easy to
come by (just ask and I'll post an enquiry to the Comanche group I'm on. I'm
sure you can have your choice for @$50 or so) Even a Grand Wagoneer frame
would work, but '73 and older are narrower (at least in front)

From: "Swygert, Francis G MSgt 436 CES/CECM"
	<Francis.Swygert3@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [AMC-List] Jeep? Ford? same difference (hot rod
chassis!)
To: <tomj@xxxxxxx>, <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Problem: Jeep CJ wheelbase is damned short!! Might work with an
old 50s
Willys Jeep pick-up chassis, or even an FSJ Wagoneer/Cherokee.
No matter
what you do it will sit high and require a new front axle, so
costs is
going to be up there.

A T bucket on a Jeep chassis might work though. Postal Jeeps are
2WD.
They use a tube axle in front, more or less a straight pipe
replacing
diff and axle tubes.

I think you'd be better off with a T style chassis. It won't
cost any
more once you figure all the mods if you build it yourself from
2x3 or
2x4 tubing, and salvage a straight axle (or buy used). Run the
big
exhaust on the outside of the body like some of the early Indy
cars,
just dip enough on the right side that you don't inadvertently
rest your
left elbow on it!

--excerpts from original message---------------
But then I stumbled upon photos of a 1984 Jeep CJ chassis --
it's of course just a pair of rails that suuuure looks a lot
like a 32 Ford! (If you take off your glasses and squint.)

2) Go further and strip out the front axle. I've never heard
of a short jeep w/2wd, but what do I know. But of course a beam
axle would do just fine -- lots of parts there!