Re: [AMC-List] San Jose Ca vehicle ID verifier

Re: [AMC-List] San Jose Ca vehicle ID verifier

re: front-of-six-block studs:

On Wed, 11 Oct 2006, Matt Haas wrote:

> I also recommend putting Permatex #2 on the block end of the studs (and the
> gasket itself) and a very light coating of anti-seize over the studs to
> keep this from happening.

I agree with Matt. The studs freeze in the block from
corrosion such as moisture getting in there (easy enough for
thermostat/water neck housings) then hot/cold/hot/cold/...
engine heat.

I run a dry tap down the holes to get them dry and clean.
The stud should run to the bottom two-fingers.

Non-hardening Permatex or equiv (I assume that's the #2) on
the stud, block-end. Wet the whole length! Totally blocks water
from getting into the hole.

(I have one can of high-temp high-nickel anti-seize (overkill
for these) I use for everything, but I'm thinking that for this
particular app, the Permatex might actually be better on the
stud nuts. Sticky and gross, but it will keep water out of the
threads, and that alone should prevent seizing. It's not a big
torque problem area.)