Re: [AMC-List] rambler hot rod // backwards six

On Tue, 3 Oct 2006, Sandwich Maker wrote:

> what tranny are ya gonna run?  my bellhousing could set you up for a
> t-10...  [or an amc-pattern richmond 5sp.  they never nade an amc ver
> of the 6sp, but it looks enough like their 5sp i bet inputs swap.]

If I use the Navarro motor, it's a 66 block, hence old 196/Nash
pattern. That limits my choices, or I'd have to adapt. I haven't
looked at that angle; most people never bother for the usual
AMC reasons (old blocks are not usually worth the effort, etc).

I have a 1975 T14 with Laycock de Normanville electric OD;
I really want to use this transmission. I'm probably the only
person who likes 3-speeds and who likes the separate, unweildy
OD. I have zero (0) interest in racing or constantly stirring
gears in a close box. It would be a light car!

The Navarro engine and the T14/OD are not compatible directly,
therefore it's TBD at this point.

> with gear drive the cam is not
> reversed;

Are there not two-gear drive sets that do reverse? I know most
of them have a double-idler to retain rotation. Anyhoo, it's
moot at this point, for me.

> " If the distributor gear direction does matter, then a custom
> " cam with "chevy" gear cut on it, and stock AMC distrib gear,
> " will accomplish the same thing.
>
> ummm they're a set.  you need both cam and dist gears to be chevy for
> the cam to turn backwards without reversing the dist.

Oh, duh, you're of course correct, silly me.