Re: [AMC-List] rambler hot rod // backwards six

Re: [AMC-List] rambler hot rod // backwards six

" From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
"
" []
"
" I guess I've decided that I want to build the Navarro test mule
" motor into a hot rod; that I can make a Z exhaust pipe to get it
" literally out of my face; that more usual hot rod chassis stuff
" will be OK (I might afford to actually build and complete it).

what tranny are ya gonna run?  my bellhousing could set you up for a
t-10...  [or an amc-pattern richmond 5sp.  they never nade an amc ver
of the 6sp, but it looks enough like their 5sp i bet inputs swap.]

" But with all the cogitations it appears that building a
" reverse-rotation AMC six is pretty straightforward -- pending
" directional oil seal issues etc I think it was Nick pointed out.
"
" to wit:
"
" * Replace timing chain with gear drive --  cam goes backwards.
" * put chevy 6 gear on distrib -- now distributor forwards.
"   (but cam helical *lifts* distrib gear, not pulls it down
"   into the block) oil pump runs right direction. (note1)

you'd only need -one- of these to reverse crank direction without
reversing distributor direction.  with gear drive the cam is not
reversed; with the chevy cam and dist gears, the cam is reversed with
the crank.

" note1: that's with a stock cam!
"
" In stock form, the distributor shaft is pulled down via tooth
" face friction onto the thrust washer in the distributor;
" with stock cam run backwards/chevy dist gear, it would lift;
" shimming the shaft to limit lift under the dist gear should
" fix that, and oil would still walk up the shaft normally.

i'm not sure of this.  the cam turns 'backwards', but the gear helix
is also 'backwards' - so the result should be 'normal' thrust!  chevy
sixes cope with it...

" If the distributor gear direction does matter, then a custom
" cam with "chevy" gear cut on it, and stock AMC distrib gear,
" will accomplish the same thing.

ummm they're a set.  you need both cam and dist gears to be chevy for
the cam to turn backwards without reversing the dist.