Re: [AMC-List] AMC Hot Rod

A: I ran a Chevy 2 rear axle upside down for several months and except for
the trans whine (I had to run in reverse to go forwards) I had no probs. I
made a new breather hole and plugged the old one, then filled the diff
through the new breather till oil covered things enough. Sounded like a I
had a blower on the car!
   Real fun was being able to drive backwards at 60 mph with 2 speeds! (I
had the front jacked up to match the rear with a straight axle) The things
we do when we are young, bored, inexperienced and no-one told us it couldn't
be done!

From: farna@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [AMC-List] AMC Hot Rod
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm not sure the diff would run long upside down. The gears
wouldn't be riding in oil with the pinion near the top. But then
there are axles made that way -- wonder if they have anything in
them to pull oil up top? Probably not -- should be plenty splash
oiling with the ring gear running in oil.

To change rotation on a Corvair (or VW/Prsche) transaxle is easy
-- put the ring gear on the opposite side. The way those are
made they flip over easy. I didn't know if an adapter was needed
or not, just that SBCs have been mated to the Corvair transaxle.

--
Frank Swygert