Re: [AMC-List] AMC Hot Rod

" From: farna@xxxxxxx
"
" I'm not sure the diff would run long upside down. The gears wouldn't be
" riding in oil with the pinion near the top. But then there are axles
" made that way -- wonder if they have anything in them to pull oil up
" top? Probably not -- should be plenty splash oiling with the ring gear
" running in oil.

start with a high pinion chuck!  when it's flipped over...

" To change rotation on a Corvair (or VW/Porsche) transaxle is easy --
" put the ring gear on the opposite side. The way those are made they
" flip over easy.

this is true of vw and porsche; they use spiral bevel ring and
pinions.  but the corvair uses a hypoid set just like any normal rear
axle.  iirc the corvair mill turns 'backwards' to start with, and
drives the tranny in front of the axle, which then feeds the diff from
the front in normal rotation.

remember the early pontiac tempest?  it, along with the new little
buick skylark and olds f-85, were built on the corvair platform '61-3,
but the tempest - front engine and all - also used the 'vair transaxle
and swingarm suspension.