Re: [AMC-List] AMC Hot Rod

I'm not sure the diff would run long upside down. The gears wouldn't be riding in oil with the pinion near the top. But then there are axles made that way -- wonder if they have anything in them to pull oil up top? Probably not -- should be plenty splash oiling with the ring gear running in oil.

To change rotation on a Corvair (or VW/Prsche) transaxle is easy -- put the ring gear on the opposite side. The way those are made they flip over easy. I didn't know if an adapter was needed or not, just that SBCs have been mated to the Corvair transaxle.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"

" The rotation for the front axle is the same as for the rear. The
" transfer case is chain driven over to the side, so the front driveshaft
" rotates the same as the crankshaft. You can't put the engine in the
" middle facing back and run an angled drivesahft to the front. But nice
" try!

but you could do something like take a front axle, pull the tubes off,
and flip the chuck over before pressing the tubes back in...

iirc built-in caster/camber would prevent flipping the entire axle.

" A Corvair transaxle (uses SBC pattern) or some front drive transaxle
" (Premier ZF auto?) might work, but would require an adapter.

the transaxle doesn't have an sbc pattern directly, but kitcar
builders found out early on how to modify it for front input.  someone
[crown iirc] then went on to make a sbc adapter.  the setup was used
in fiberglass porsche 917 knockoffs, for one.