Re: [AMC-List] rambler hot rod

>Except for the oil pump and distributor (vacc. advance,
>lubrication), I can't think of a reason not to run the engine
>the other direction (requires new cam of course).

Two things come to mind:

Bearing journals are polished in the direction of rotation (or at least
they used to be).  The oil seal journal on the rear of the crankshaft
has directional knurling.  I think the front seal has a directional
pattern molded in.

The new cam would require a reverse rotation distributor drive gear (and
driven gear) which would turn the distributor and oil pump in the
'normal' direction. This would allow the thrust on the distributor drive
to hold the camshaft in the block.  Reverse rotation SBC are common
enough that an engine builder should know what to do.  Is the SBC cam
gear the same as the inline AMC six?  If a cam grinder can't cut the
reverse rotation gear on an AMC cam a gear drive would reverse the
rotation of the cam.

Peter Marano
Kenosha WI