Re: [AMC-List] Intake Manifold Installation

On Sun, 1 Oct 2006, Matthew Gracie wrote:

> When I ordered the new manifold and carb from Jeg's, I asked for the
> installation kit to go with it; they sent along gaskets, carb studs,
> intake bolts, and so on. They sent a pair of regular, Felpro gaskets, so
> we put those on and then started worrying about the valley pan.
>
> They sent the wrong part, or at least the wrong part for my engine; the
> valley pan won't line up properly because those gaskets aren't supposed
> to be there. It's just the pan between the heads and the intake, right?

The valley pan/gasket is a bit tricky, but not complicated.

The gasket is stamped such that there is a little bit of steel
that will engage with the manifold bolt holes. It will *just
catch* enough to hold the gasket in place while you put the
manifold down onto it.

The problem is if you don't put it down perfectly flat and
square at once, the manifold bumps the gasket, it looses its
grip and >boing< it pops up.

I think the current trick technology is to put some gasket cement
on the heads, apply the gasket, temporarily instal bolts and
spacers to hold the gasket down, allow to dry overnight. Now
it won't pop off during installation.

Some V8 actual expert should correct me if I'm wrong.

PS: you will have nightmare oil consumption problems if you do
not use the valley gasket!