Re: [AMC-List] Charity AMX

Frank, you are killing me!

"I'm NOT going to get upset with you or your last post."

Good, I didn't make anything up, so whjy would you?

"though I did have more of an idea of the length of time it could take) "

Really-and you never shared this, that it would be a 6-7 year project?  Just how many cars have you done to base your decision?

"I wrote.... "

Yes, it became almost a one man show.  I would hope you time in the military would have taught you how to delegate, form subgroups or committees, etc (cause it did me).

"The AMC hobby in general KNOWS about this car"

Yet there were posts from people who did not....

"I KNEW it would take a lot of time, but it's taken more time than even I expected"

See above-your statement you knew it would take a long time.

"If you have lots of time to devote to finishing the car it COULD be done in a couple months, but is there any point in rushing the job now? Or is it just that you have the time right now and think you may not later?"

I wouldn't have volunteered if I couldn't do it.

"Send me a personal e-mail if you want to discuss this point, public forums is not the place. "

What is there to discuss.  i told you I could work on the car, i am willing to work on the car, I just need the car.

"I KNEW that would be the nature of the project as it went along, there has ALWAYS been the POTENTIAL that someone around the car could/would INTENTIONALLY swap some part(s) out for their personal benefit. "

You actual say you knew this in advance.....?

"Each team was supposed to do their own "bush beating""

Says who?  The rest of us couldn't help?  that is the problem Frank-people who wanted to help felt left out without more publicity, input, etc.

"None of the big name guys like Summit, but we really don't need aftermarket parts."

Cash????

" the only reason I accepted the car"

You are killing me again!  YOU accepted the car???  Go back in time Frank.  The car was donated to the list, not you, your magazine, or anything/anyone else.  It came about from a disussion on the List that was all talk-I donated the car as a "put up or shut up" proposition.  Nobody was in charge.  People got together and a great idea (which was not mine-I did  not start the donation idea, I joined in, same as you) came to happen.  I don't know how you came to think you are in charge-you were starting your magazine, and it was a good fit, so no complaints that someone volunteered to coordinate this.  For that, you should be thanked.

"I would like the project to get out to another group before it goes back to Boston for final disposition. "

And how is this YOUR decision?  This is the AMC hobbies car.  YOU do not have the right to make decisions based on what Frank wants.

"You offered taking it last year and I thought hard about it."

Still thinking?  What has happened in the meantime?

"I expect you're going to publicly criticize everything that was done other than what you expected or would have done. "

"don't think you'd have done any better, just given up and pulled it back to finish yourself"

You really don't know me at all.

"would have been chosen"

But they weren't offered, were they?

Bottom line, Frank-the car has a lot done to it.  The people behind the scenes, those who donated time, money, space, etc. would like to see the project finished.  The good news is the price of a 70 AMX has skyrocketed since the car was started.

The car can be done in short order.  A number of our local guys have award winning cars, have done a number of restorations, and in all honesty are ready for the challenge.  the more you wait, the longer it will take to get done.  For instance, if we miss the Jan. auction, when is the next one?  Where will the car go in the meantime?  You don't have a few weeks.  People have offered to pay for transport now.  It is not your decision Frank, it is not mine.  It is the AMC communities car.  Let's here from them before a decision is made, but let's make a decision in the next few days to get this going again.

--
Thomas M. Benvie

From: farna@xxxxxxx