Re: [AMC-List] Trans Go > Silicone is NO GO <

Re: [AMC-List] Trans Go > Silicone is NO GO <

...I changed the trans. pan gasket and filter on my Eagle's TF998 a few
weeks ago finding that the "rubber/neoprene" (or whatever it's made of)
pan gasket had decided to retire after almost 20-years of service
(probably). The first one I tried was a filter kit with a cork gasket
(actually the kit came with two gaskets for different pans crumpled up
and stuffed into the box with the filter!) that wasted no time letting
the "pesky" ATF out. I tried unsuccessfully to 1) find a replacement
rubber pan gasket, or 2) find a parts counter person willing to turn
away from the screen and blow the dust off the "ancient scrolls" (a.k.a.
parts books) and see what wisdom they might have contained within. I
finally went to the local Jeep (former AMC-Jeep), after doing my own
research of course to see what else that gasket might have fit, and got
a new pan gasket. The interesting thing is that rather than cork or
rubber, the gasket was nylon. This made it a breeze to install and so
far it has been working fine. Unfortunately no dancers were available to
help. :-(

Russell