Re: [AMC-List] Trans Go > Silicone is NO GO <

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006, Russell Neyhart wrote:

> ...I changed the trans. pan gasket and filter on my Eagle's TF998 a few
> weeks ago finding that the "rubber/neoprene" (or whatever it's made of)
> pan gasket had decided to retire after almost 20-years of service
> (probably). The first one I tried was a filter kit with a cork gasket
> (actually the kit came with two gaskets for different pans crumpled up
> and stuffed into the box with the filter!) that wasted no time letting
> the "pesky" ATF out. I tried unsuccessfully to 1) find a replacement
> rubber pan gasket, or 2) find a parts counter person willing to turn
> away from the screen and blow the dust off the "ancient scrolls" (a.k.a.
> parts books) and see what wisdom they might have contained within. I
> finally went to the local Jeep (former AMC-Jeep), after doing my own
> research of course to see what else that gasket might have fit, and got
> a new pan gasket. The interesting thing is that rather than cork or
> rubber, the gasket was nylon. This made it a breeze to install and so
> far it has been working fine. Unfortunately no dancers were available to
> help. :-(

No dancers, eh? How the hell did you get any work done?!

My story is: old but working OK A904 dropped off at Westminster
Transmissions for rebuild. All's well, except the pan leaked;
cork gasket, and the old OEM pan looked un-traight between bolt
holes (eg. overtightened).

Rather than screw around, I ordered a deep-sump (Chrysler)
pan and (rubber-like) gasket from Summit. Good deal! But like
an idiot I siliconed it on.

I have not yet bought a new gasket. The TransGo catalog I have
says I have to provide my own 904 gasket (comes with 727). I
don't want crap cork either. I was thinking of calling B&M or
one of those places and see what they use.

But do you know/recall the specific application, or part number,
for that new-fangled nylon gasket? That sounds good!