Re: [AMC-List] Item number: 330008960552

Re: [AMC-List] Item number: 330008960552

Hi John, well, on the golf course, having a swill. I hope that golf cart is
AMC powered, and you not letting Paris Hilton drive it, let her drive
something else! Don't check your AMcyclopedia, check your video library
:~O). Speaking of scotch, I hope John is having a scotch, AMC's marketing
for the new AMX was just that in 1968. Back to 19 sixty eight.....

"Mission AMX: AMC had dealer meetings in 9 cities in the US from Feb 15-22nd
1969 at Playboy clubs; Guy Hadsall Jr the National Merchandising Manager was
in charge of the meetings, which was to introduce AMC Dealers to the NEW
AMX. The original American Motors flyers states: "the meeting guide poster
is guaranteed to turn your audience on! Being in charge of the meeting,
you'll have the FIRST opportunity to see it, and get in the proper frame of
mind. Very simply instructions on it's use are all that is needed. Simply
display it in sight of everyone and happily run-down the swinging new
features of the car that are provocatively present in numbered call outs."

There was a film and record originally for presentation. Those instructions
read (worth noting AMC's great marketing) "Two for the Road: This AMX
features film will sustain the stimulating meeting enviroment this meeting
guide poster will cause....That's a PROMISE!"

and the second film states: "One Of A Kind! This is a fast moving, different
type of marketing presentation that should shake some of the cobwebs loose.
The film looks closely at the YOUTH MARKET, who they are, where they are,
and how to reach them! Now go ahead and take the first look, hang it up and
have a swinging meeting! Are you FEELING GROOVY yet? Need a scotch? LETS
SELL SOME CARS!!"

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/mission_amx.htm

Ah yes, the last thing you need is a bunch of drunk AMC dealers on scotch
playing with their putters (4 iron?) (Big Bertha?) (Tiger Woodie??!?)
looking at Playmates....the tab is covered and all the swill is on the
house:
http://www.planethoustonamx.com/press_photos/47_nash_drums.JPG
back 41 more years to 19 forty seven.......
"All the major Nash dealers were crowded into a room, given drums, and told
to beat them on cue according to the widow of the owner of the dealership I
would later buy out in the 90s, P. K. Williams on Congress street in Austin,
Texas. She indicated that she never knew why they rounded up the dealers
like this once a year, but spouses were invited, they just could not attend
the meetings, not that they would want to be in there with all those drums
and Cuban cigars. Not sure if that is a pitcher of ice water on the middle
of the table or a pitcher of Stoli. P. K. Williams was one of the highest
volume Nash dealers in Texas. He would morph into Rambler then AMC before
closing. He is pictured directly below the "H" in the "Sell Nash" banner on
the back wall. Ironically, AMC President William V. Luneberg would later say
in 1971: "We want to be recognized as a company that marches to the beat of
it's own drums;" when he was describing AMCs 'philosophy of difference'. "

Fast forward to 2003 when the Green Bay Packers still had a team:
http://www.planethoustonamx.com/amc_window_stickers/eddie_packers.jpg
Yes, like gas, as with scotch, only the prices have chaged....and aged!

"Mike/Tom/X should notice the difference between my "serious" and "fun" ---
I took the "8,000 pound Chrysler" theme model year still unknown] and simply
riffed on it; maybe saying or showing something new or of interest to
someone.  I don't expect everyone to read between the lines, to find all the
factoids, or even to get all the embedded jokes, but, like life itself, it's
out there for the taking.  Free of charge.  The right price for Rambler
mentality (and for Rambler mentalitty...)"
On the showfield in Kenosha for the huge Homecoming in 1998 there were 3-4
Dodges that had been produced in Kenosha at the former AMC plant. Looked odd
sitting there on a field of over 1000 AMC vehicles. Over the hill on same
field there was a few Nashes. And one Ajax. All AMC somehow related, scotch
or not.

Yes, cars can be fun and serious. Most are fun. I saw a older gentleman
driving his pristine 55-57 T Bird, top down this morning. My boys
instinctively yelled 'papa! Hot Wheels car!' Not knowing what it is, made
before even I was born. Timeless nonetheless. One day some will look back on
those 3-4 Mopars (New Yorkers? Dynasties?) on the field almost a decade ago.
Did anyone take their photos? Did anyone go over and talk to the owners?
Welcome them? Did AMCers act like it was Hezbollah Dodge's over there? I
don't know, but I did walk up and check them out. Where are they now?

"Third chance to contribute something.  Go to it; it's your AMC life.  Don't
rely on someone else to do it for you."

I agree. Not everyone wants a AMC. Not everyone wants to
restore/restify/fix/drive a AMC. But for those of us who still do (how many
people here drive their AMC daily in 2006? I drive EXCLUSIVELY AMC and have
since 1976...) get out and enjoy the products AMC made. It don't have to be
a "collectible" musclecar. You will find wagons are just as much fun, as are
convertibles as are four doors. All worth having fun with in some fashion!

There will be more from the likes of great storytellers like Foster, Brooks,
Mayes, maybe even get Zinn out of Amishville to write AMC again. However,
everyone has a story to tell when it comes to AMC. How many of you have ever
been to a cruise night or car show or just driving your AMC and had someone
tell you 'tey remember those Ramblers' or 'I used to have one like that' or
'so and so worked at the dealership/factory/lot' for instance? Tell everyone
about it.

Fo!
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX