Re: [AMC-List] The 8000 pound dumbass and a Rolls-Royce

On Thu, 7 Sep 2006, Michael Bailey wrote:

>   The 8000 pound remark was, at least I felt at the time, an inspired stroke of sarcasm, based on the power/weight ratio of a 110 hp, 3000 lb. Gremlin.

Oh that's how I took it -- your subconscious came up with the
right smart-(ass :-) reply just when needed. To me, your "8000
lbs..." remark meant 'bloated, complicated, expensive, fluffy,
excess car driven by clueless fool unable to use advantages in
said bloat'. And Molly, a spare, clean, simple, well setup car
driven by someone who knows the car well and was paying attention
(eg. 'clue').

Nice summation in a few words :-)

>   Not as snappy an answer as I hoped.  Throw in modern goodies
> like computer-controlled spark, transmission, traction control,
> more gears in the auto trans, etc. and there is no excuse
> for any modern V8 car to be beaten down by a Gremlin.

But isn't this the very essence of many successful pursuits
(pun intended)? Show up, use what you've got! Tale of the
tortoise and hare, etc...