Re: [AMC-List] The 8000 pound dumbass and a Rolls-Royce

Re: [AMC-List] The 8000 pound dumbass and a Rolls-Royce

-------  I posted this earlier  ------

>From John Mahoney:

...Can you remember the only 1968 car that compared to
an AMC Ambassador? Can you please post the ad?...

------>Ambassador VS Rolls-Royce Ad from Chris Z's Hobby Page

------> http://faculty.concord.edu/chrisz/hobby/Courtesy/68-SW/68-AD_RRvsAMB.JPG

------>Sorry, this one's kind of small and unreadable, but the gist of the
message is there.
m.

--------  Except without the link, and only one "l" in Rolls-Royce.  Sorry.  --------
This ad referred to the fact that only Rolls-Royce offered A/C standard besides the Ambassador by American Motors.  In fact, I seem to remember that the Rolls-Royce came out short on several other counts.

   Also, about the 8000 pound car.  Finding me is easy, I live on the corner of the only two major roads in this rural portion of Maricopa County.  The 300 driver already knew where Molly could be found before anything even happened.

  The 8000 pound remark was, at least I felt at the time, an inspired stroke of sarcasm, based on the power/weight ratio of a 110 hp, 3000 lb. Gremlin.
  This would yield 27.2727... lbs. per hp.

  At 8000 lbs. a 435 hp automobile would rate at 18.39 lbs per hp.
So actually the weight : power ratio would still be to his advantage even if his car weighed 4 TONS.

  Not as snappy an answer as I hoped.  Throw in modern goodies like computer-controlled spark, transmission, traction control, more gears in the auto trans, etc. and there is no excuse for any modern V8 car to be beaten down by a Gremlin.  I hope he's very embarrassed.  I still think transmission slippage was the cause, or maybe he got excited and forgot to take it out of 2nd.  At any rate, all I was hoping for at the time was a holeshot while lighting a smoke.  The rest was just gravy and frosting.  yuk. never mind.

  None of this changes the fact that it was very stupid behaviour by all involved.
mike