Re: [AMC-List] Mustang II Suspension?

I'm not going to quote any of John Elle's last post -- it is a "must
read" if you've seriously considered a Mustang II front end though. His
and the one I posted that prompted it as well. I think the two of us
covered everything rather thoroughly.

Most people consider using something like a MII front suspension to get
rid of the trunnions. I think everyone with a real knowledge of trunnion
suspsnesions has pointed out that a modern rebuild will eliminate all
the problems. The biggest "problem" most people have with their
trunnions is that they are 36+ years old and worn out. Nothing lasts
forever, even ball joints need to be replaced after that span of time!

If you really want to get rid of the trunnion, there is an easier way.
Get the steering knuckle and upper arm from a 70+ car. Cut the end of
the upper arm off just behind the spring seat. Cut the original upper
arms so that they intersect the 70+ section the correct distance away
from the body (center of ball joint should be the center of the knuckle
position in the trunnion. Weld the two together. Better yet, get some
threaded tubing and some urethane bushed rod ends that pivot on the end
and weld those on. Or even better, fabricate a new upper arm. A lot of
people will cry "nay!" to welding on the suspension, but as long as it's
done properly anything can be welded. Might be best to take to a
professional rather than DIY though. Fabricated MII arms are all welded
together -- either by machine or a pro. While you're at it, get one of
the MII strut rod eliminator kits that bolt in place of the original arm
and have a weld on pivot point as John suggested. Don't even think about
one that straddles the crossmember -- the AMC crossmember won't take
that any more than the original MII will. Keep the AMC lower crossmember
and arm.

All that will still cost 2-3 times what replacing the trunnions with
urethane bushed ones, and there won't be any real gain, but "thaose
hated trunnions" will be gone. It's your money -- bring the car to SC
and my shop in about two years, I'll be all set up and ready to do the
work by then!