[AMC-List] Penske Javelin Front Suspension, road racing upgrades

[AMC-List] Penske Javelin Front Suspension, road racing upgrades

Armand wrote

Sorry I can't add anything to the conversation other than I like the front
end of my 70 Javelin just fine for  the street. How ever I have been trying
to chase down information on the  70 Penske cars front suspension for a long
time. I wonder what modifications they used to make the cars handle better.
Anybody have any information thay could send my way?? Maybe some photos of
the real cars suspension ?

I researched the Penske Javelins front suspension when I was building my 70 AMX road racer.  The Penske cars used a custom fabricated box spindle, gusseted lower control arms and center link.  I also found out that Stock Car Product's Grand National NASCAR Ford type spindles will bolt right on to the upper ball joint on an AMC and have a similar overalI size to the AMC spindle.  I put them on my AMX and they work great.  You do need to modify the lower ball joint to a larger size, but this process is easily done while your gusseting them anyway.  The nice thing about the NASCAR spindles is that you get much larger bearings and you can use any of the many aftermarket brackets to adapt any road racing brake system you want.  A few years ago I also added Ron Water's coil over conversion, which allows you to use any of the Carrera racing shocks and weight jacking capability.

Hal