SNIP
Date: Sunday, August 27, 2006 05:15 PM
From: Ray Mick <rmick@xxxxxxx>

There are some pictures here of how they beefed up the components.
http://www.amx-perience.com/TransAmRacing1971.htm
SNIP
This is fascinating. On the lower control arm though based on my working
with them I would not suggest welding
both sides of the control arm to the bushing. One side is a press fit,
the other is a clearance tolerance and needs
to be so that the control arm motion can be correct for street use. This
is a case where the limitations of racing
are well defined and the so is the flexibility needed for street use.

snip
From: hal.lynch@xxxxxxx
<mailto:hal.lynch@xxxxxxx?subject=%5bAMC-List%5d%20Penske%20Javelin%20Fr
ont%20Suspension,%20%20road%20racing%20upgrades>
I researched the Penske Javelins front suspension when I was building my
70 AMX
road racer.  The Penske cars used a custom fabricated box spindle,
gusseted
lower control arms and center link.  I also found out that Stock Car
Product's
Grand National NASCAR Ford type spindles will bolt right on to the upper
ball
joint on an AMC and have a similar overalI size to the AMC spindle.  I
put them
on my AMX and they work great.  You do need to modify the lower ball
joint to a
larger size, but this process is easily done while your gusseting them
anyway.
The nice thing about the NASCAR spindles is that you get much larger
bearings
and you can use any of the many aftermarket brackets to adapt any road
racing
brake system you want.
Snip
Here is a case where "BLING" factor can be utilized on an automobile
that was out of production before
 The use of the word was defined. It too is limited to the 1970 and
newer but what a potential mind blower
this one is.
But remember, there is a price involved here too.

SNIP
A few years ago I also added Ron Water's coil over conversion, which
allows you to use any of the Carrera racing shocks and weight
jacking capability.
SNIP
For those of you who are in to coil overs here is the web site url;
http://www.classicone.com/wsc/catalog/amc_x.htm
This is a seriously well designed conversion package but again. It ain't
cheap either
But it could be almost cost justified. While you are here looking check
out the
rear axle conversion too! This is probably harder to cost justify for
street use but
then again BLING factor could be high on it!

Let us not forget either that amount of description that DOC has shared
with us on the
building of his recent Hornet. He is like many of the people on this
list one who will
take the time to share his knowledge or experiences to help and aid
others.
even if it is just support for doing something you don't think you can
do, DOC is there
with it.
Now if you don't think that you can't build a nice looking and superbly
presentable
car on a budget, ask DOC to send you a picture.

Dawgone, this hobby is fun
John.