Re: [AMC-List] AMX Grilles

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006, Don Johnson wrote:

> Thank you for posting that info.
> I looked into getting a mould done for the 70 AMX ( I have a NOS grille for the pattern). Here in Montreal, the cheapest injection mould was going to run me between $30K & $50K and I believe that included a laser scan in the production process. The mould was to be made out of metal and would have weighed about 5000 lbs.

All that cyberfx does is the scan, and the foam model. From
there molds would have to be made, etc,and I know zero zilch
about that. Erika (friend getting the scan done) is gettin
expert at thermosetting urethanes, epoxies, etc, and does
human-sized transparent castings with near-zero bubbles.
She's done bronze casting too. This stuff can be done.

If someone were enterprising enough it would probably be doable
to make your own mold -- depending on the complexity of the AMX
grille, which I have never seen off a car -- and do one-off hand
castings in some sort of epoxy resin, but that would require
a research project. It's probably **just** doable at home,
and probably a dozen hours per grille of hand labor. $$$