Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 09:24:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [AMC-List] AMX grilles
To: AMC List <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I saw a system that would be perfect for makin a mold for
recreating AMX (or whatever) grilles.

My artist friend Erika was in town to get a 3D scan of her for a
sculpture she's making, at a place in Burbank called Cyber F/X.
They have a 3D laser and milling machine setup; for $1500 you
get a big fat dataset on CD (for 3d CAD programs like 3DS Max)
and a machined foam physical replica, shipped to your door.

Along the walls were all sorts of famous actor heads and cartoon
characters (movie industry is their biggest customer) but they
also had a Mercedes grille -- exactly replicated in foam.

The foam is sturdy but not structural, and has a rough-ish
surface, but is a precise (fractional millimeter) copy of
the original. Only red light is bounced off the original,
no harm here.

The foam replica would need surface finish and have sprues
added, but it's got to be the best thing around for copying
complex shapes. It can definitely handle the AMX grille.

http://www.cyberfx.com