Re: [AMC-List] AMX grille

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006, Michael Bailey wrote:

> -----> This foam piece would be the prototype for a
> mold positive to use in a manufacturing process.  Not
> having seen it, I suppose it may be possible to use it
> to create a mold from fiberglass, or even to coat the
> "plug" itself with a styrene skin sort of like a beer
> cooler.

Yeah, it's not very rugged, but then, apparently neither are
40-year-old AMX grilles!!

>   This process that Tom desribes has many
> applications, and is commonly used in industry for
> visualizing the manufacture of complicated pieces.
> Also, it can eliminate issues which might not be
> obvious from viewing the original drawing.

YEah, a single glance at an actual object beats hours of staring
at drawings! Human beans are good and intuiting weaknesses etc
in real life.

>   Also, not to nit pick, but 3D Studio is not a CAD
> program.  The difference is in the degree of accuracy.

Oh no offense taken! I know doodoo about CAD, 3d, or even
graphical stuff. I'm a system/hardware weenie.